As the world’s population is growing, the necessity for medical care is also increasing and so the requirement for the medical professionals. Career as Phlebotomy Technician is one of the most intriguing, while there are many other rewardingly good opportunities in the domain of health care. As this field is highly specialized it has got real good service openings even for the recent grads. Phlebotomist is those who are trained in collecting blood samples from human beings or animals, as prescribed by the doctors. They work as support staff for doctors, nurses and other medical staff. Drawing the blood for the purpose of finding the medical ailments from which the patients may be suffering, is the main duty of these technicians.
A Phlebotomist plays a vital role in the healthcare organizations and the role they play usually depends on the particular medical care section they might be working in. An individual needs to be well aware of their responsibilities and are also required to perform additional duties in case of any emergencies. However, the post they are holding has a great impact on the role they play. In order to become a successful professional in this corporate world filled with high competitive spirit one has to attain the required training. This also helps them in getting a good grip and experience over their work duties.
A phlebotomist play a role in explaining the patients (especially children) with the procedures and tranquilize them before starting up with the process. They have to be extremely careful and abide by the rules and regulations and follow precautionary measures while performing the procedures on human beings. They should be majorly patient enough and pacifying while interacting and handling the patients, answer any queries and be able to attend any case of emergencies.
They play a crucial role in executing all the technical analysis related to the examining of the fluids collected from the patient’s body and tracing the exact problem. The following can be termed as the important duties to be performed by every Phlebotomy Technician:
• Collecting blood samples by drawing blood from veins.
• Marking these samples (with additional info if required) for future reference.
• Transporting the blood samples, if necessary.
• Inferring and executing any lab routines.
• Operating, maintaining and fixing the laboratory equipment in case of any repairs.
• Studying blood samples and developing fair to middling reports.
• Communicating the reports to the doctors or other higher officials before starting with the treatment.
In addition to these crucial jobs there are some extra duties required to be performed by them if essential. These may be very challenging and completely anonymous. But to survive in this competitive world one has to be ready to undertake any task assigned to them.
Additional jobs include the following:
• Apprising the patients regarding various procedures or any queries.
• Scheduling and fixing the appointments with doctors or lab technicians.
• Entering and storing all the medical info or medical records pertaining to the patient’s health care.
• Responding to the phone calls in case of absence of the corresponding staffers.
• Preparing billing receipts and many more.
A Phlebotomist earn $34,550 on an average, per annum. With more experience one may also be able to make more money. The role of Phlebotomy Technician is growing rapidly with the years passing by.