We all know how difficult it becomes when there is minimal inflow of money and huge amounts of outflow and expenditure. For all of us in a family, it is a constant struggle to meet the ends. Given that difficulty and impossibility of sustenance imagine how hard it would be to manage and run a living for single mothers.
Single Mothers are independent women who are not receiving any financial help from either the parents or other relatives or from the husband/boyfriend or spouse. It is hard for them to go to college or a university and complete their studies and work part time or any kind of a job and then takes good care of the children. So, the government introduced different kinds of grants to help these ill-fated single mothers to save them from the misery of not having money. It in turn helps the children of the single mothers to develop in to responsible individuals. In a country where the rates of single mothers increase, it was important for the government to improvise and bring these grants in to act so that there is less orphan kids. Read further to know how to get the grant for a single mother released so that she can survive in this ruthless world structured out of money.
Single Mothers as Phlebotomists
Single mothers often chose phlebotomy as their career because of a variety of reasons.
- Phlebotomy is easy to work. It is not hard working, it is not time taking, and it is easy to manage.
- The courses offered for phlebotomy are short termed. This means that the courses would not take more than a couple of years to get the degree.
- It is a flexible job. It provides ample amount of time to take care of the baby or child.
- It is one of the least expensive educations in the country.
- It is being offered in many places in the United States.
- There is good increment in the status of a phlebotomist. One can start for a low salary but with enough experience, the pay rise will definitely grow high. This means that the single mother can cater to the needs of the child as he/ she grow up in age. This is not possible in many other fields this quick and easy.
In addition to these, there are many other reasons why single mothers take phlebotomy as their career. Availability of enough grants that will cover the tuition fee is one of the other important reasons. So, phlebotomy is an obvious option for many single- mothers.
Grants for Single Mothers
There are many grants out there for single mothers. But it is important to look at the right place. The Federal Government is not the only organization that issues grants. Also, the state governments issue the grants. There are different kinds of grants out there in the world. There are grants for college or university studies, there are grants for housing, non- profit grants and lots. All these grants have a different approach for application and release of the amount. So, before single mothers apply for a grant, it is a must that the single mothers understand their need very well as a first step. Once they know what they want, they should do a good research on what kind of grant will best serve their purpose. Coming to the grants for college studies, it is important to understand that the college grants are not just for the regular students.
The college grants are available for the non- regular students out of whom, the branch of single- mothers is given high priority. However, there are some criteria that have to be met in order to be eligible for the grant. These criteria depend upon the school which releases the grant and the type of study and tuition and many other things. One must also make it a point that it is not always that all the tuition is covered. A good number of times, the grant offered might not be sufficient for the single mother to smoothly cover her study for all the duration of the course. However, the grant money is still useful. It can cover other expenses like books, transportation etc.
So, even if it does not cover the entire expense, it is necessary to apply to whatever grant available. But applying for a state assistance for the grant can be an onerous task. Single mothers have to call the office of human resource of the state and take an appointment to talk about the situation and help needed. They will analyze the situation and then decide, along with you, which kind of grant is most suitable for you. Once you decide the grant together, they will schedule an appointment to apply for the grant. You must take all the proofs and documentation required for the process to continue forward. Through the agent they appoint for your application, they will be in contact with you to get some more information or document or paper work needed to process your order. This loop might repeat for a number of times until your request has been honored. So, patience is needed for all of this to happen.
The grant offered to the single women to do a career in phlebotomy is called Pell Grant. There are certain requirements to be satisfied only upon which the grant may be offered. Let us have a look at the conditions.
- The applicant may not be on any other grant as this grant is offered only for people who do not have any other source of income.
- The applicant must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- The applicant must register at least for 6 credits for each academic quantum and maintain a GPA of at least 2.0 and must not get a D grade in any course.
- The grant amount is about $5,500 per year. In order to qualify to this, the applicant must not have any other source of income.
- The applicant must not already be a graduate or at least have a bachelor’s degree yet.
- The applicant cannot have a criminal record which reduces the chance of getting the grant. More so, the applicant must not have a record in drugs and other similar crimes.
There is no unique process for filing an application for the PELL grant. FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is an application for grants issued by federal government at fafsa.com is one way of applying for the grant. In addition to this, the school or college may require some more documentation for the successful issue of the grant. Most applicants get the full quota of the money if all requirements are met. If the student does not utilize the full amount, the balance of the money is given to the student for other utilities. There are other kinds of aid like Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) that might lead to the obtaining of Pell Grant. Some schools might also provide child care avenues to take care of the children while you attend classes.
Hoping that the above information contributed to your efforts in becoming a phlebotomist, we wish you all the luck in your endeavors.